Recipe: Nutty Date Cookies
Summary: Makes 24 cookies
- 2 cups pitted dates, packed 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sunflower or safflower oil
- 1/4 cup soymilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt 1 cup walnut halves (3.5 oz/100 g)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a small saucepan with a lid, bring the dates and water to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until dates are soft.
- Remove from heat and mash. (A potato masher works well for this).
- In a large bowl, combine oil, vanilla, soymilk, lemon juice, ground flax and mashed dates. In a bowl or 2-cup measuring cup, mix the flour, baking powder, soda and salt well.
- Pour these dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir to mix (do not over-stir). Fold in the walnuts. Drop by tablespoonful onto an oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack or on the pan.
- Store in an airtight container.
Cooking time: 20-25 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis in Becoming Vegetarian and The New Becoming Vegetarian