Recipe: Savory Chickpea Gravy
Summary: Makes about 3 cups
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp dried sage 5 ml
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 31/2 cups hot water
- 1–2 tbsp umeboshi plum vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the chickpea flour, sage, thyme, rosemary, and pepper, stirring constantly to form a smooth, thick paste.
- Cook over medium heat until the flour is lightly toasted, about 5 to 10 minutes or until the flour no longer tastes raw.
- Remove from the heat.
- Gradually whisk in the hot water, stirring constantly and mixing carefully to avoid lumps.
- Add the vinegars and salt to taste.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until hot and bubbly.
- Whisk in more water, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency.
- Vesanto Melina is a registered dietitian, internationally known speaker and consultant, based near Vancouver. She is author of seven books including the new “Food Allergy Survival Guide”, and “Becoming Vegetarian”; her website is www.nutrispeak.com.
Preparation time: 2 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5-10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 3
Culinary tradition: USA (General)