Recipe: Shepherd’s Pie
Summary: Makes 8 servings of 1-1/4 cups.
Ingredients for Potato Topping
- 8 large russet potatoes, peeled (4 lbs/1.8 kg purchased)
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup fortified soymilk or rice milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white or black pepper
Preparation time: 3 minute(s)
Cooking time: 3 minute(s)
Ingredients for Base
- 12 oz Yves Veggie Ground Round (2 packages)
- 2-2/3 c diced onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 c chopped celery
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (such as Wizard Brand, without anchovies)
- 2 tbsp tamari, Bragg Liquid Soy or soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp tarragon
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 14 oz can creamed corn
- 14 oz niblets corn (canned and drained, or frozen)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- Cut each potato into thirds and cook in boiling water until tender.
- *Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté onion, garlic and celery in oil over medium-high heat until soft.*
- Turn off heat, add crumbled Yves Veggie Ground Round, Worcestershire sauce, tamari, salt (if using), tarragon, thyme, pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer Veggie Ground Round mixture to sprayed or lightly oiled 9 by 13-inch (23 by 33 cm) casserole dish.
- Spread mixture and pack evenly.
- Mix creamed corn and corn kernels.
- Spread corn mixture over Veggie Ground Round mixture.
- Drain potatoes, add oil, soymilk, salt, and pepper and mash until fluffy.
- Evenly spread potato topping over corn. Sprinkle top with paprika.
- bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Vesanto Melina and Joseph Forest, Cooking Vegan (US), Cooking Vegetarian (Canada)