Recipe: African Stew
Summary: Makes 4 small or 2 hearty servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock from cubes or powder
- 2 cups peeled, diced yams or sweet potatoes
- 1-2 cups canned, drained chick-peas
- 1 cup brown or white rice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups chopped kale, collards, or other greens
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- dash chili sauce, chipotle sauce or Tabasco
- In large pot, sauté onion in oil over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add water, yams, chick-peas, rice, salt and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes (use the longer time for brown rice).
- In small bowl, blend peanut butter and 1/2 cup of hot liquid from stew to make a smooth paste.
- Stir into stew along with greens and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, chili sauce and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with rice or bread.
Preparation time: 3 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30-45 minute(s) to simmer yams, chick-peas, rice and salt, then 5 minute(s) to cook greens added to stew
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4 small OR 2 hearty
Culinary tradition: USA (General)