Summary: Makes about 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive, safflower or other vegetable oil
- 1 very large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups Gee Whiz Cheez (recipe below)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Large pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) dry macaroni or other tube pasta (such as penne)
- Heat the oil in a very large saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and sauté until tender and medium brown to give the onion a lovely caramelized taste.
- *Adjust the heat as necessary so that the onion doesn’t burn*
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and stir.
- Then stir in the prepared Gee Whiz Spread, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) and mix well.
- Simmer gently, stirring often, to warm through. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Stir hot pasta into simmering sauce and combine gently but thoroughly.
Preparation time: 2 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Jo Stepaniak and Vesanto Melina, Raising Vegetarian Children.