Recipe: Black Bean Soup
Summary: Makes 6 cups (4 servings)
- 1 cup diced carrot 250 mL
- 1 cup diced celery 250 mL
- 1/2 onion, diced 1/2
- 1 clove garlic, minced 1
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 3 cups cooked black turtle beans or black beans 750 mL
- 4 cups vegetable stock 1 L
- 1/4 cup tomato paste 60 mL
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin 7 mL
- 1 tsp dried oregano 5 mL
- 1 tsp dried thyme 5 mL
- 2 tsp lime juice 10 mL
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large pot, sauté carrot, celery, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, stock, tomato paste, cumin, oregano and thyme.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice.
- Add salt and pepper and adjust the seasoning.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Joseph Forest and Vesanto Melina, Cooking Vegetarian.